You have booked your newborn photography session, now you need to prepare for the shoot.
1. Preparing your room - make sure your heating is on during the winter months at least one hour before your session is due to start. During a newborn photo shoot, baby is undressed regularly so if the environment isn't warm and draft free, baby will become uncomfortable and too cold. I bring a small heater with me, to ensure that baby is warm, baby will not be exposed for a long period of time and skin checks are regular to ensure baby is the right temperature.
2. A fed baby is a content baby. Try and keep your baby busy (for 2 hours) and fed (15 mins) before your session is due to start. This way posing will be smooth and feeding will not take up the time of the session, although if baby needs top ups during the photo shoot, of course we plan enough time to allow this. You will need a bottle made up ready for the session if you are bottle feeding, a muslin/bib for any milky dribbles, a towel, nappy and wipes.
3. Get some props - if you are creative, include lots of things and colour coordinate if possible. Take a look at my website for more ideas on how to add props to your photos to customise them.
4. Outfits for your photo shoot - I always recommend 2 outfits for anyone included in the photo shoot. Try and colour coordinate everyone, stay away from large logos and patterns (unless you are going for a tartan theme) a light outfit (including whites and beiges) and a dark outfit (including blacks/navy blues). Simply clothing works best, strap tops, t-shirts and cardigans. The photos are more about the love, connection and bonding between you and baby.
5. Relax! Your photo session will not be stressful and do not worry if your baby becomes unsettled. There is plenty of time allowed to settle, feed and change baby during the photo shoot. Put some relaxing music on, make a cup of tea and enjoy cuddling and bonding with your baby. I have photographed over 70 babies in the last 2 years and along with my newborn safety training and experience with my own babies, I am confident you will receive a great selection of photographs to choose from.